1. Add 8-10 drops of surfactant into vial (optional), cap tightly and shake vigorously or vortex.
2. Insert Sed-Connect™ filtration device tightly into specimen vial.
3. Tilt the Sed-Connect™ device at approximately a 30 angle, filter 1-2 ml’s for thick specimens and 5-7 ml’s for thin specimens.
4. Tilt the Sed-Connect™ device at approximately a 30 angle, filter 1-2 ml’s for thick specimens and 5-7 ml’s for thin specimens.
5. Cap funnel filter device. Add ~13 ml of saline to the centrifuge tube and cap.
6. Centrifuge for 10 minutes at 500 xg and then decant.
7. Add saline (or formalin) to bring the contents in the centrifuge tube to ~13 ml, then add 3-5 ml of ethyl acetate. Recap, then centrifuge for 10 minutes.
8. Ring the debris layer with an applicator stick to loosen plug. Invert tube and pour off supernatent and debris layer. Wipe sides with cotton tipped applicator stick to remove excess ethyl acetate.
9. Re-suspend pellet with a few drops of saline or formalin and examine under a microscope.